Friday 8 November 2013

Fig and walnut friand slice

Friands as a slice.

My little sister bought me a beautiful cookbook for my birthday. It's a Woman's Weekly baking collection.

I went to a friend's house for dinner on Friday night and insisted on making dessert. I have never made friands before, and I don't own a friand tray or moulds, so I thought a friand slice would be a good place to start. 

The recipe also included orange zest, butter and orange juice.


The recipe was interesting as it used ground walnuts rather than almond meal as its basis. The texture was similar texture to a traditional friand however. 

The figs didn't go into the actual mix, just on the top. I think next time it would be nice to make the slice more "figgy". They could go into the mix or the pieces on top could be thicker.

I am thinking about fig cupcakes now too... maybe with caramel? And a bit of salt? Mmmm. 

Baking in the afternoon.


I haven't really cooked much with figs before. I think I've put them on a pizza but I can't remember. The ones used in this recipe were dried and sliced. 

I think I've discovered a new favourite snack : ) 

Afternoon tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment