Monday 7 October 2013

Fettuccine in burnt butter sauce with toasted pine nuts, sage and parmesan

A classic combination of flavours. 

I have been making pasta quite a bit lately, but I haven't really posted much. Sometimes I eat it with really simple ingredients like a bit of cream, olive oil, chives and parmesan. It really doesn't need a lot to taste good when you make it yourself. 

There are so many possibilities too; I don't want my blog to end up being one long string of fettuccine. But I got my camera out the other day to share at least one of my really simple recipes. 

So... I made the pasta from scratch with my pasta machine. I blogged about this earlier here. I'm a bit fancier now - I have a pasta drying rack!

Homemade pasta drying on the rack.

Before I continue, I'd like to note that I will no longer be buying Barilla pasta flour or other products. This is due to recent homophobic comments made by their Chairman. 

I find his remarks offensive in general, and I also object to his definition of a "sacred" or "classic family", which seems to revolve around a woman in the kitchen making dinner. So I find his remarks misogynistic and discriminatory in a broader sense.

Who is he to define family? My friends, gay and straight, are my family. I also live alone. I therefore do not fit his definition of an ideal customer either. I wonder if he realises how many single young professionals buy his pasta? Given that it's one of the more expensive ones, he has most likely ostracised a decent part of his customer base. 

He says that if we don't like his comments, we should eat another brand. So I will.

So anyway... I created the pasta sauce with some olive oil and butter in a pan. This is heated until the butter turns golden. The pine nuts and sage are added towards the end so that they do not overcook. 

Simple but very yummy ingredients.

After cooking the pasta, I poured the sauce over it, adding an extra splash of olive oil, salt and pepper and grated parmesan. 

I do think it's worth spending more time on the pasta itself than the sauce sometimes. It's all about making the pasta the hero of the dish. Haha, I can't believe I just wrote that. 

Anyway... these pictures are making me hungry. Enjoy : )

I want to eat it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment