Thursday 15 August 2013

Baby eggplant, grape tomato and bocconcini wholegrain pizza


This pizza won't make you fat.

Welcome to my dinner. I wasn't going to bother to post it, as it's a bit basic, but then I got bored and started taking pictures and here we are. 

I like to make my pizzas on wholegrain Lebanese bread (until I finally learn how to make my own pizza bases). Not only are they higher in fibre and lower GI, they're also about half the calories of commercial white pizza bases. If you cook the pizza on stone, the bottom will be crispy. 

I'm also not a huge fan of tomato paste... I like to make my pizza sauce from a mixture of seasoned olive oil and crushed garlic. You can put almost anything on this base; it's especially good for more experimental pizzas (watch this space!). 

I think it's fairly obvious how to assemble this pizza from the photographs. There aren't any secret ingredients, just tomatoes, eggplant, baby bocconcini, parmesan, shallots, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. 

I will say though that it's best if you don't drop your eggplant on the floor whilst transferring it from the pan to the pizza. This is not an ideal outcome for your eggplant. 

Oh, and speaking of eggplant, I do have one tip - when pan frying it, add in a bit of lemon juice. This will add flavour and also lower the amount of oil that the eggplant absorbs. Don't be alarmed if it turns purple. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. 

Pizza when removed from the oven.

I like to add some greenery to my pizzas. It gives them a nice fresh vibe and adds some extra texture and flavour. For this pizza I chose to add baby spinach and flat leaf parsley. These choices were largely based around what I had in my refrigerator. 

I hate how fresh herbs only come in huge bunches; it seems such a waste. Hence, I'm putting this parsley on pretty much everything. It has a pretty amazing flavour so that's ok. A tip to keep herbs fresh for longer is to place the bunch in a glass of water, then cover it with a plastic freezer bag. 

I also added a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze to this pizza. This can also be used as part of your base if you want a bit more flavour. 

Pizza dressings.

I don't like my pizza to be cooked for too long. I take it out once the edges are crispy. I prefer the cheese to be melted rather than brown, but of course you could leave it in longer. 

That's pretty much it. Simple, fun and yummy. 

Dressed and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment