Monday 19 August 2013

Beef hash with cherry tomato and avocado side salad

Feeding the family from what was in the fridge and pantry.

I'm still at my parents' house and I texted Mum to ask her if I was on chef duty again tonight. She said yes, and indicated that I should use the beef mince defrosting in the fridge. 

Hmmm... what to do? I put on the TV and there was Jamie Oliver throwing 500g of mince into a pan. Bingo!

I don't really understand exactly where this recipe comes from, but you can view it here if you're interested. 

My version was tweaked as I had to use the vegetables (carrots, zucchini and onions) and fresh herbs (oregano) that I had at home. Everything blended nicely though. 

I also made a salad, which was a bit of a challenge given that I only had tomatoes and avocados to go into it. However, some fresh vinaigrette (olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, sumac, garlic, salt and pepper), some inventive plating up and some pine nuts made it seem like an actual salad. And it tasted good too. 

Having a lemon tree in the yard is pretty darn handy at a time like this. I hand picked the lemons myself! 

I think it's good to use what's in the fridge rather than let it spoil. It obviously reduces waste, but also encourages creativity. I sort of made this up as I went along, which was fun. 


Salad from nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment